SMHS Dance Company
The SMHS Dance Company is a competition and performance team designed to further the student's dance technique as well as give them the opportunities to produce and perform their own work. Students will perform and choreograph in three concerts per year and perform at various community and district functions. Dance company has the opportunity to mentor younger dancers and represent Dance inside and outside of SMHS. Dance Company has the opportunity to attend competitions as a team outside of SMHS and attend a yearly dance tour.
The course can be taken for P.E. OR Fine Arts Credit. The class can be repeated for credit.
Admission is by audition only. Students auditioning must meet entry-level technique requirements.
The class meets daily during school hours.
Students must maintain a B or better to remain in the class.
All students are expected to:
- Attend class daily ANY MEMBER MISSING 2 OR MORE REHEARSALS FOR A SINGLE PIECE OF CHOREOGRAPHY WILL BE REMOVED FROM THAT PIECE
- Be on time TARDIES WILL AFFECT CITIZENSHIP GRADES
- Dress appropriately INAPPROPRIATELY DRESSED STUDENTS WILL BE GIVEN A TARDY
- Collaborate with team members
- Have a willingness to try new things and grow as a performer
- Maintain a positive and cooperative attitude
- Attend all dress rehearsals and class performances
- Purchase costumes and/or shoes for their performance
Grading: The student's grade is based on the following four components
- DAILY IN CLASS PARTICIPATION: This includes the performance of prescribed activities, use of appropriate effort and the demonstration of a positive attitude.
- ATTENDANCE: Absences (for any reason) will lower the attendance grade ONE letter grade for each TWO absences. *Serious illness or doctor excused medical situations will be treated on an individual basis.
- CHECKPOINTS AND EVALUATIONS This will be determined by observing choreography and technique.
- SEMESTER PERFORMANCE: attendance and participation at mandatory tech, dress rehearsals and performances.
Dance Company (Entry Level)
Dancers must demonstrate highly refined body articulation, agility, balance and strength.
Dancers must have highly developed physical coordination and control while performing complex movement phrases and choreography.
Dancers must be able to perform in multiple dance genres.
Dancers must demonstrate ability to improvise and collaborate with other dancers.
Movement vocabulary should include the following:
- triple pirouettes
- double piques
- leg hold turn
- 6 + a la secondes turns in succession
- Attitude turn
- Splits: left, right and center
- Chaines in succession
- Shoulder roll
- Jumps: firebird, scorpion, C-jump, stag, center, calypso, barrel jump
- Leaps: center, jete, switch leap
10/7 Homecoming Parade
10/22 Hauntington Breakfast
-1ST PLACE OVERALL
DANCE & JAZZ DIVISION
SHARP INTERNATIONAL DANCE COMPETITION
- NYC DANCE TOUR
- "JUNIOR DANCE" MENTORSHIP
- "DANCING WITH THE TEACHERS"
- K-POP WORKSHOPS